A Powerful Leadership Tool That Provides Unique Insight into Team Communication
You’re a leader, with that comes responsibility, expectation and daily challenges… all created from dealing with people. DISC is a proven tool to help you realise your ultimate leadership potential.
In this post I am going to explore the benefits of understanding the different personalities on your team.. If you like this content there is a link at the end of the post to make contact about my live presentation titled “Understanding the Patterns of People”.
Learn How to Pick a Person’s Personality Style and Know How to Best Influence Them
We are all different! One way of understanding how people differ is via their personality. Our personality influences how we think and ultimately how we behave. By observing the behavioural cues that another person gives out, you can generate powerful insight into how best to lead that person. What would it mean to you if you knew;
- How to best motivate each person on your team.
- What is most likely to frustrates your team members, so you can keep morale high.
- How to best lead and influence each person instead of being frustrated by their different (and difficult) behaviour.
- How to present your ideas and strategies for better results.
- How to build high performing teams and align the right people to the right tasks.
Capitalising on Your Strengths and Minimise Your Limitations to be More Influential
Like everybody else, your own personality has both strengths and limitations. By understanding your natural personality preferences you’ll be able to draw on your strengths while keeping your limitations in the background. As you encounter each leadership challenge, you’ll be able to work to your strengths while minimising the impact of your own weaknesses. By understanding the DISC personality model you’ll be better able to;
- Identify if you need to engage in small talk with the person or get straight down to business.
- Know what demotivates a particular person and how to avoid it.
- Identify where people are coming from and how to relate better to them.
- How to be seen as trustworthy by different people.
- Know who you need to present lots of details to and who just wants the ‘bottom line’.
Manage Difficult Behaviour More Easily, More Effectively and More Permanently
Let’s face it, some people are very hard to manage. When you don’t understand another person’s ‘difficult’ behaviour, it is more likely to frustrate you than when you understand why people do what they do. Imagine if you could “read people”, pick their particular personality type and understand how to ideally persuade and motivate them. Instead of being bewildered by the behaviour of others, you’d actually know how to predict what people will do and say in a variety of situations. By understanding the behaviour of others you’ll be able to clearly see that;
- Some people aren’t chronic complainers, they just want things to be right!
- Some people aren’t cold and unresponsive, they are just task focused and reserved.
- Some people aren’t bully’s, they are just results driven and strong willed and less sensitive.
- Some people aren’t ‘silly as a wheel’ and unreliable, they are just very excitable and creative.
- Some people aren’t disengaged, they are just sensitive to the needs of others and don’t want to appear pushy.
- The list goes on and on. Understanding personalities helps you to look at the world through the ‘difficult’ person’s window… giving you powerful leadership insight!
Be Seen as a Great Communicator who Understands People
Great leaders understand their people and how to best communicate with each individual. The key to being a great communicator is to understand the other person and communicate with them in their best way. By understanding the different personalities on your team you’ll be able to;
- Develop the strategies to smooth out your rockiest relationships.
- Optimise your leadership style based on individual circumstances.
- Be seen as a problem solver who can work through any challenge to achieve results.
- Defuse conflicts and bring about win-win agreements.
- Deal with ‘difficult’ people and achieve positive outcomes – eliminating interpersonal stress.
- Develop practical techniques for communicating effectively with all types of people.
James McNamara delivers dynamic leadership training in Brisbane. To find out more about his motivating live presentation titled “Understanding the Patterns of People”, just request the details via our contact form.
To learn more about my approach to communication skills training click here…